Paleo Irish Stew
This Irish stew is paleo-friendly.
- 1 ½ Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds grass-fed beef stew meat, cut into large chunks.
- sea salt
- 1 celeriac peeled and diced
- 3 turnips peeled and diced
- 3 med carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup gluten-free low-carb beer OR 1 additional cup beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot optional
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped (optional)
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat.
- Dry beef and sprinkle with sea salt.
- In batches, brown the outside of the beef in skillet. You do not want to cook the inside of meat.
- Place browned stew meat and all other ingredients, except the arrowroot starch, in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover crockpot and turn to high. Cook stew for four hours.
- Add arrowroot starch and cook for an additional hour. Meat should be very tender when finished.
- Garnish with parsley leaves if desired.