This Paleo Hassleback Sweet Potato with Apple recipe is a nutrition-packed version of the traditional Hassleback potato. These delicious and beautiful treats work perfectly for nearly any meal and can be served as a side or dessert.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
Sweet potatoes and apples are the ultimate comfort food. I’ve found that they’re the perfect option for a healthier diet because they both naturally have a little sweetness, while still being nutrition-packed and having tons of health benefits.
- One medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in half
- 1 large apple or 2 small apples
- 4 tsp cinnamon, divided in half
- 4 tbsp melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp granulated stevia erythritol blend, maple syrup, or brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a cutting board, begin cutting the potato into 2 1/2 mm slices, cutting nearly all the way down, but leaving a little less than a 1/4 inch unsliced at the bottom to hold all of the slices together.
- Once both halves of the sweet potato have been sliced, transfer them to a glass pan for baking. Sprinkle the halves with 2 tsp cinnamon. Try to get some of the cinnamon between the slices as well as on top.
- Next, carefully pour 2 tbsp of the melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil over the two halves.
- Place the sweet potato halves in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is baking, begin preparing the apple by removing the core and cutting them into thin slices- about 2 mm thick.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining tsp cinnamon and sweetener.
- Once combined, add the apples and toss until coated with the cinnamon mixture.
- Once the potato is done baking, remove from the oven and let cool slightly for two minutes,
- Begin tucking the apple slices between each slice of sweet potato halves. When complete, pour the remaining 2 tbsp oil, ghee, or butter over the hasslebacked potatoes.
- Place the potatoes back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.