This Low-Carb Quesadillas recipe uses a spicy ground beef filling and gooey cheese. They taste fantastic and are suitable for gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, Atkins, LC/HF, ketogenic and Banting diets.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
This Low-Carb Quesadillas recipe will not disappoint even the most discriminating critic. These quesadillas are filled with spicy, taco seasoned ground beef, pieces of avocado, green onions and of course, lots of gooey cheese. They are the perfect blend of spicy cheesy goodness.
The problem with making quesadillas on a low-carb diet is , of course, the carb content of the tortillas. Tortillas are usually made with corn or wheat so they are loaded with carbs. While some companies have developed low-carb tortillas, these tortillas often are not the tasty substitute we hope for. Many of them have ingredients we can’t pronounce and some have a texture more like cardboard than a tortilla. This recipe uses our homemade Low-Carb Tortillas. These tortillas have only a few ingredients and are simple to make, but taste even better than traditional tortillas.
These Low-Carb Quesadillas make a perfect lunch, dinner or snack. Eat them by themselves or add a salad to make a complete meal. Since they are easy to pick up, they make great finger food. Make them for your next party and watch them disappear. Even your non low-carb friends will love them!
- Low-Carb Tortillas 4 tortillas
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon butter divided
- 2 green onions sliced thinly
- 1 cup cheese of choice finely grated (we used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1/2 avocado pitted, peeled and sliced
- Optional: sour cream chopped tomatoes, and additional chopped green onions for serving
- Prepare tortillas according to the recipe.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and break apart with a wooden spoon.
- Brown beef, stirring occasionally.
- While beef is browning, in a small bowl, combine chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Once beef has browned, drain grease and return to heat. Add garlic and spices and stir for one minute.
- Pour water into the pan and simmer until water has evaporated almost completely. Turn off the heat.
- Heat 12 inch non-stick skillet over low heat. A well-seasoned cast iron or carbon steel pan works perfectly for this purpose.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoon butter to pan and melt. When butter stops foaming, add a tortilla to the pan and quickly spread 1/2 cup of the cheese over the tortilla, then layer half the ground beef mixture, half of the sliced green onions and half the avocado over the cheese. Top with a second tortilla.
- When cheese begins to melt and before the bottom tortilla gets too brown. Turn the quesadilla. Holding the top tortilla with either your hand or a small plate and using a large spatula on the bottom will assist in the flip.
- Cook the second side over low heat until just brown and cheese is melted. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into four sections using a rotary pizza cutter.
- Repeat process with the other two tortillas.
- Garnish with sour cream, chopped tomatoes and additional chopped green onions if desired.
Serving size: 1/4 quesadilla
Fat: 22.7 grams
Carbs: 9.8 grams
Fiber: 4.1 grams
Protein: 20.4 grams
Net Carbs: 5.7 grams