Something that I love about eating low carb is how it pushes me to experiment and try making different recipes. Creating grain-free crackers was certainly one of those instances. Before I switched to a low-carb and gluten-free diet, I had never tried making crackers. I always thought they were one of those things that I was probably just better off buying– I didn’t think I could get the taste just right.
The problem was I really wanted a way to still be able to have cheese and crackers, just with low-carb crackers instead. Now that I’ve done some experimenting, I enjoy making my own crackers. It is so refreshing to be able to customize exactly what kind of cracker I’d like to make depending on my mood and what type of food I am serving them with.
Ever since I first made grain-free crackers, I have been dying to try them with sun-dried tomatoes and black olives. To be honest, I’m actually not a huge fan of raw tomatoes. I’m definitely one of those people that would push the tomatoes to edge of the plate when they come with a salad, but sun-dried tomatoes are a completely different story for me. Sun dried tomatoes have a wonderful savory flavor that would be hard to replicate. I love the distinct flavor sun-dried tomatoes add to any dish. Paired with olives, they perfectly complement each other; creating a heavenly mixture of savory saltiness.
Depending on whether you’d like the crackers for snacking or for cheese, you can easily adjust the size of the crackers to match your use. I normally cut them before baking so that they easily break apart afterwards. If you’re looking for a bit more rustic look, you can leave them uncut and break them off into pieces after baking.
Happy cracker eating!
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp butter, cold
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, diced (not packaged in oil)
- 1/4 cup kalamata olive, diced
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond flour, garlic, pepper, baking powder and oregano.
- Next, cut butter into dry ingredients using a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers.
- Once the batter has reached coarse crumbs, add egg white.
- Once the egg white is incorporated, stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and olives.
- Knead dough until it sticks together and forms a ball.
- Transfer dough to prepared cookie sheet and flatten dough slightly.
- Place a layer of parchment paper over the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, spread out dough thinly across cookie sheet.
- Cut the cracker dough in squares of the desired size.
- Bake in oven for 18-23 minutes, or until slightly golden. Watch crackers carefully during baking so that they do not burn.
- Turn off oven and leave crackers in the cooling oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Let crackers cool for at least 10 minutes before breaking into pieces.