This Low-Carb Leek and Wild Mushroom Galette recipe makes a delicious and impressive meal. It’s easy to make and works for low-carb, ketogenic, Atkins, gluten-free, grain-free, and Banting diets.
This Low-Carb Leek and Wild Mushroom Galette looks stunning with its free form pastry. The golden folds of pastry surround a richly flavored filling with a leeks, red onions, and wild mushrooms. The mushrooms and leeks are in a cream sauce with hints of thyme, wine and garlic. Melted gruyere tops off the dish with gooey goodness. This galette is satisfying enough to serve as a main dish, or could be used as an impressive side dish.
The pastry for this galette not only looks beautiful, but also tastes delicious. Best of all, it’s easy to make! It’s simply a version of mozzarella dough flavored with a bit of thyme. The dough is rolled out and the filling spread in the middle. The edges of the dough are then gently folded over the filling.
To make the filling extra special, we used dried wild mushrooms. Dried mushrooms give the recipe a more intense flavor than fresh mushrooms. We have tried different mushroom varieties in this recipe and they all have made a tasty galette. One thing I love about dried mushrooms is their shelf life. I consider them a pantry staple and love to have them on hand to add a hearty earthy flavor to a meal.
This impressive galette with it’s earthy flavors, gooey cheese and lovely pastry is comfort food taken to a new level. It’s perfect for a winter day and simple to make. This galette makes any meal special. Enjoy!
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, cut in half, then thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup superfine almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Have a rolling pin, a rimmed cookie sheet, and two sheets of parchment about 15" long available.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter.
- When butter has melted and stops foaming, add leeks and onion to the skillet. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook leeks and onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and edges are brown. Add garlic to the skillet and cook one minute, stirring.
- Pour red wine vinegar over the leek and onion mixture. Cook, scraping up browned bits, until vinegar has almost completely evaporated.
- Transfer reconstituted mushrooms and the liquid the soaking liquid into the skillet. Stir in red wine. Bring to a boil. Boil until wine is almost completely evaporated. Pour in cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in thyme.Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Allow to cool, uncovered, while making the pastry.
- Partially fill the lower part of a double boiler with water. Bring to a simmer.
- In the top part of the double boiler, add mozzarella cheese, almond flour, salt, and dried thyme. Stir to combine. Place over the simmering water in the lower part of the double boiler.
- Being careful not to burn yourself from steam escaping from the bottom part of the double boiler, stir mixture frequently. Heat until mozzarella melts and mixture forms into a dough.
- Transfer dough to a sheet of parchment and knead a few times to until ingredients are completely combined. Pat dough into a disk and cover with the second piece of parchment.
- Roll dough into an approximate 12 inch circle.
- Remove the top piece of parchment. Slide the bottom piece of parchment containing the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Spread the filling in the center of the dough, leaving about 3 inches on the edges uncovered.
- Spread the gruyere cheese over filling. Sprinkle the thyme over the cheese. Gently fold the uncovered edges of the dough over the edges of the filling, folding as necessary.
- Place galette in the preheated oven. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the galette
- Calories: 383
- Fat (g): 27.2
- Carbs (g): 12
- Fiber (g): 3.4
- Protein (g): 18.9
- Net Carbs (g): 8.6