Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
There is something about caramelizing onions that brings out the sweetness and flavor. This sweetness combined with sausage, gruyere cheese and a bit of thyme make a lovely combination and make a house smell like a home. This pie is elegant enough for a Sunday brunch with company, but easy and low-key enough for a family weeknight dinner.
Some may be surprised that I have sausage in one of my recipes. Many people think of pork as an unhealthy meat. Really, it depends how it is raised. I use local, organic, pasture-raised pork. The pasture environment infuses the pork with omega-3 fatty acids making the meat much healthier than the stuff raised in commercial facilities. Check out your local farmer’s markets for organic pastured meat.
Enjoy! Simply so savory!
Sausage, Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Pie
- 3 tablespoons grass-fed butter plus enough to grease pie pan
- 2 medium yellow onions cut in half and then sliced thinly
- 5 large pastured eggs
- 3/4 cup grass-fed cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pound breakfast style pasture-raised sausage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup gruyere cheese ,finely grated (Preferably organic and grass-fed.)
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease pie pan with butter or coconut oil.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until onions have caramelized, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, break eggs into a medium bowl.
- Whisk slightly to break up eggs.
- Whisk in cream, thyme, salt (I used about 1 tsp) and pepper to taste. Add slightly cooled caramelized onions.
- Heat empty onion skillet to medium heat.
- Add sausage and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until browned and cooked throughout.
Add sausage and 3/4 cup of the cheese to egg and onion mixture.
Pour mixture into pie pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Place pan on cookie sheet before putting in oven.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes. Center should be set when done. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1/8th pie
Fat (g): 44
Carbs (g): 3
Fiber (g): 1
Protein (g): 22
Net carbs (g): 2