This Paleo Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Cream Sauce makes a delicious main course that everyone will enjoy. This boasts a spicy cream sauce that is dairy-free! It’s a wonderful pasta dish for those who are gluten-free and dairy free or those who live a Paleo lifestyle.
This is one of the older recipes on the blog, so it isn’t as low-carb as some of our others. Still, it is a lower carb alternative to regular pasta. To make this dish more keto-friendly, simply exchange the cashew cream sauce with heavy whipping cream.
Paleo Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Cream Sauce
- Spiralizer- We use this.
For the cashew cream
- 1 1/3 cup raw cashews chopped
- 3 1/3 cup filtered water boiling
For the pasta
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 Tablespoon cajun seasoning no MSG
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon or to taste crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound of shrimp defrosted, peeled and deveined.
- 1 16 oz bag of frozen broccoli florets defrosted.
- 3 zucchini or summer squash spiraled into spaghetti sized noodles
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves chopped
For the cashew cream sauce
- Place cashews in a large (about 2 quart) pourable container such as a 2 quart glass measuring cup.
- Cover cashews with the boiling water.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for about 1/2 hour or until about room temperature.
- Pour water and cashew pieces into a blender.
- Blend at high speed until cashews are completely incorporated in the water and the solution looks like cream. There should be no evident grains or pieces of cashew left.
- Refrigerate until needed. This may be made one day ahead if desired.
For the pasta
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add garlic cloves and cajun seasoning.
- Stir about 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice to pan and stir, releasing brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes and stir 30 seconds.
- Stir in all of the cashew creme mixture.
- Add salt, shrimp, and broccoli.
- Increase heat to medium and bring mixture to a simmer, while stirring.
- Once mixture has reached a simmer, turn heat to low and continue to stir.
- Add squash noodles when shrimp just starts to develop some opacity.
- The dish is finished when the broccoli and noodles are crisp tender, shrimp is opaque and the cashew cream has reached a creamy, sauce-like consistency.
- You may add water to thin if the sauce gets too thick.
- Garnish with parsley.