This Low-Carb Dark Chocolate Layer Cake may be gluten-free and guilt free, but it is the best chocolate cake ever! This rich, velvety cake is perfect for birthdays, holidays and other special occasions.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
I have made this chocolate cake many times now. The first few times were to perfect the recipe. After that, the cake was just too good and we ate it all before we could photograph it. This cake is amazing fresh out of the oven and still warm. Be sure to let it cool enough that you don’t burn your tongue. Watching it cool a bit is a struggle, though!
If you plan to frost it, let it cool completely first. Good luck with that! You will soon find frosting is completely overrated. Feel free to change you mind and eat it warm. So good!
This recipe makes only one layer, so if you want two layers, you will need to double the recipe. If you want to end up with two layers, you may want to make a third, because chances are, one of the layers will disappear before you’re ready to frost them!
- Coconut oil to grease pan
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup stevia erythritol sweetener
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk or other milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or wipe a 8 X 8 inch pan, 9 inch round cake pan or three 4-1/2 inch pans with coconut oil. (photo is shown with three 4-1/2 in layers)
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and sweetener. Whisk these dry ingredients together until well combined and lump free.
- Add coconut oil to dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and almond milk. Using a spoon or an electric mixer, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Place pans in preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes if using three 4-1/2 inch pans or , 30-35 minutes for an 8 X 8 inch pan, or 25-35 minutes if using a 9 inch pan.
- Cake is done when the top springs back to a light touch or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Calories: 222
- Fat: 19.4 grams
- Carbs: 8.4
- Fiber 4.5 grams
- Protein 8.4 grams
- Net Carbs: 3.9 grams