This recipe for Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy makes a delicious side dish. Best of all, this dish works for people on low-carb, Atkins, LC/HF, ketogenic, gluten-free, and Banting diets.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
This recipe for Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy works as a delicious low-carb substitute for mashed potatoes. If I didn’t make it myself, even I might be fooled! This recipe tops creamy parmesan mashed cauliflower with a creamy gravy rich with mushrooms and flavor. Notes of garlic and thyme combine perfectly with deep, earthy mushroom flavors. The result is a side dish everyone will enjoy.
Before eating low-carb, I admit that cauliflower rarely made its way to my plate. I have always loved broccoli, but didn’t give its blander, less colorful cousin a second thought. Now, I’ve started to understand that the blandness and lack of color make this vegetable truly special. Cauliflower makes a great low-carb stand in for potatoes, rice, pasta, and even low-carb cauliflower pizza crust! The bland veggie makes low-carb comfort food a reality. I no longer discriminate against cauliflower for its lack of taste and color. Instead, I embrace the vegetable as the great imposter. Now, cauliflower is on my dinner plate several times a week. Check out the role this vegetable plays in some of our other recipes: Cauliflower and Kale Curry Soup, Mashed Cauliflower with Smoked Gouda, and Low-Carb Shrimp and Grits
In our Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy recipe, the cauliflower plays the part of mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes and gravy were often on our table when I was growing up. They seemed to go with everything. My favorite thing about this recipe is that it takes me home, just like real comfort food should. Enjoy!
Mashed Cauliflower with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter divided
- 8 ounces baby bella button, or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme.
- freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Steam cauliflower florets until tender, about 10-13 minutes.
- While cauliflower is steaming, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add two tablespoons butter, reserving one tablespoon for later.
- When butter stops foaming, add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until tender.
- Stir garlic into the mushrooms, cook while stirring, for one minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vinegar becomes syrupy.
- Stir in heavy cream. Allow mixture to simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly thickened. Stir in thyme. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place remaining tablespoon of butter, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper into a food processor. Add the steamed cauliflower. Pulse processor several times until cauliflower is completely pureed, scraping down sides of processor occasionally.Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve mashed cauliflower with mushroom gravy spooned over the top.
Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
Fat (g): 20
Carbs (g): 7
Fiber (g): 1
Protein (g): 11
Net Carbs (g): 6