This Low-Carb Chocolate-Orange Ganache Cream Pie recipe makes chocolaty orange perfection! It’s hard to believe it’s suitable for diabetic, Atkins, low-carb, ketogenic and grain-free diets.
This Low-Carb Chocolate-Orange Ganache Cream Pie is heaven on a plate. A crisp, chocolate crust provides a lovely shell for the rich, dense chocolate ganache. A bit of orange zest gives the ganache some character. A cloud of whipped cream offsets the denseness of the ganache filling and keeps the pie from being too heavy.
This pie is like a big, chocolate truffle, only in pie form. It’s simple to make, but elegant enough to serve to company or to top-off a holiday meal.
I love chocolate truffles and this pie embodies the spirit of the truffle with its ganache filling. Ganache is made by melting chocolate into heavy cream. These two decadent ingredients combine to make pure chocolaty goodness that melts in your mouth. Ganache formed into little balls makes the traditional chocolate truffle. Sometimes ganache is used to add richness to a layered dessert, for example, it may be the crowning glory of a cream pie. In this pie, however, the ganache is the main event–the filling of the pie. Yep, it’s intense chocolate-orange flavor!
The press-in crust makes this pie a cinch to make. No need to roll it or or pray that it stays in one piece when you put it in the pan. Just put the dough in the pan, press it into shape using your fingers, poke some holes in it with a fork, then pop it in the oven. This crust works every time–no cursing involved!
Even though this pie recipe isn’t difficult to make, it is not only delicious, but also beautiful. It’s a dessert you’ll want to share with your friends and make to celebrate a special occasion. This pie will definitely have a place on my dessert table this holiday season.
- 8 ounces stevia sweetened dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- zest from one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons stevia/erythritol granulated sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional stevia sweetened dark chocolate, melted, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously butter a 9-inch pie pan
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Cut butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or fork until coarse crumbs form.
- Add vanilla and egg and stir until dough sticks together and forms a ball.
- Press dough into pie pan until it evenly covers the entire pan. Flute edges if desired. Poke holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles in the crust.
- Place crust in preheated oven and bake crust for 11 minutes. Remove crust from oven and cover the edges with foil to prevent burning. Bake for another 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before adding ganache filling.
- In a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate and cream over medium-low heat, stirring consistently.
- Once the mixture is smooth, remove from heat and add zest and orange extract.
- Pour ganache in cooled pie crust and place in refrigerator, uncovered, until set.
- In a small bowl, beat heavy cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add sweetener and vanilla extract and blend just until combined.
- Pour the whipped topping over the ganache and spread evenly over the entire pie.
- Drizzle pie with dark chocolate if desired. This pie is best served after being refrigerated for at least 1 1/2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
- Serving size: 1/10th of the pie
- Calories: 333
- Fat (g): 31.7
- Carbs (g): 14
- Fiber (g) 8.8
- Protein (g): 5.9
- Net Carbs (g): 5.2