This Guacamole Egg Salad is healthy and absolutely delicious! It is the perfect way to use up extra hard boiled eggs you might have around after Easter. Serve this salad by itself, wrapped up in a lettuce leaf or as a dip for scooping up with your favorite veggies.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
I confess that I am not normally an egg salad fan. It’s just so, um, eggy. This salad isn’t that way at all. It’s more like super chunky guacamole you eat with a fork. So good!
It’s a good thing my family likes this salad, because it’s spring and my hens have been working overtime. After months of barely producing, the hens are overflowing their egg boxes! No, I’m not complaining. However, I have adjusted my recipe development accordingly. We came up with this recipe to help use up our extra inventory.
If you purchase farm-fresh eggs or have your own chickens, don’t use your freshest eggs for this recipe. For some reason, extremely fresh hard-boiled eggs are difficult to peel. I swear the eggshells are superglued on the eggs! I use eggs that are two or three weeks old for hard boiling.
Do you have a favorite trick to make hard-boiled eggs easier to peel? Please let us know in the comments!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Juice from 1/2 a lime, pits removed
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 small tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with water. Water should be one inch above eggs.
- Bring water and eggs to a boil.
- Cover pot and turn off the heat. Let sit for 12 minutes.
- Pour out hot water and replace with cold. Repeat this a few times until eggs are cool.
- Peel eggs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place avocado, lime juice, jalapeño pepper and garlic. Stir together with a fork, mashing avocado and thoroughly mixing ingredients. It's okay if the end result is still chunky.
- Add onion, tomato, cilantro and salt to avocado mixture. Combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Chop hard-boiled eggs and add to avocado mixture folding in gently.