This low-carb chicken tikka masala recipe contains succulent pieces of chicken in a rich, creamy sauce. The sauce is colored to a rich red color with a touch of tomato paste and lots of spices.
While we have skipped the traditional marinating step and we do not roast the chicken in a Tandoori oven, the final product still tastes like the tikka masala you would get at a fine Indian restaurant.
Best of all, since our recipe doesn’t require a lot of steps, it whips up in about half an hour. This dish is low-carb and grain-free!
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this site are affiliate links which means we make a small commission from any sales to help keep the recipes coming! You do not pay any more. Thank you for your support!
Chicken tikka masala is a favorite of my family. Every time we eat out at an Indian restaurant, we make it easy on the waiter, because everyone orders the same thing–chicken tikka masala!
Sometimes I try to be different and order something else. While the other dish is usually good too, I find myself eyeing the chicken tikka masala that the rest of the family ordered. My spoon gravitates toward their copper serving bowls and I find myself scooping some onto my plate. I swear, I’m addicted to the stuff!
The chicken tikka masala at a restaurant may or may not be low carb and/or grain-free. It depends on the specific recipe.
We can be sure that the rice it is served with is definitely not low-carb or grain free! When eating this dish at a restaurant, I usually eat it without the rice.
When I make it at home, I can keep the whole meal low-carb and grain-free by serving the chicken with a riced cauliflower dish. I love it with steamed riced cauliflower with some butter, salt, slivered almonds, cilantro and cumin seeds mixed in. If you prefer, plain riced cauliflower would work as well.
If you’re looking for a low-carb naan recipe, this recipe for keto naan from Sugar Free Londener would be amazing with this recipe.
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 pound total), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter.
- When butter stops foaming, add onions to the skillet.
- Cook onions until they just start browning on the edges. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides and continue cooking over medium-low heat until they are cooked throughout.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, cardamon, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly, to toast spices.
- Add fresh ginger, tomato paste and cream to the skillet, stirring to mix thoroughly. Increase heat to medium to bring the mixture to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- The serving size for this dish is fairly small. If you want larger Americanized portions, you will need to account for this.
- Calories 302
- Fat: 21 grams
- Carbs: 4.8 grams
- Fiber: 1.4 grams
- Protein: 24.8 grams
- Net carbs: 3.4 grams
Here‘s another chicken recipe you may want to checkout!