Whether you’re looking for a healthy breakfast pastry or a sweet, but guilt-free, treat to enjoy in the afternoon with tea, these almond cherry scones fit the bill. The almond flavor enhances the cherry flavor of these moist, lightly sweetened scones resulting in a flaky, decadent scone with a bit of almond crunch.
It’s cherry season! Cherries are piled high in every market I go to. Gorgeous, deep red cherries that make me dream of cherry pie. Unfortunately, at 19 grams of carbs per cup, I have to eat them judiciously.
In this recipe, I focused on getting lots of cherry taste without a lot of carbs. I only use a half cup of cherries, then augment the flavor with almonds. This creates a tasty scone, bursting with cherry essence, but still low in carbs.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup Stevia Erythritol Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 large organic, pasture raised eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon organic almond extract
- 1/3 cup organic sweet cherries chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together the almond flour, granulated sweetener, sea salt and baking soda.
- Mix in coconut oil using a whisk or a pastry blender until well blended.
- Add eggs and almond extract and mix in using a spoon.
- Stir in cherry pieces and 1/3 cup almonds.
- Using a spoon, drop the batter in about golf ball sized amounts, 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle remaining sliced almonds on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.